Knowledge Handler

Information Sources & Information Sifting Techniques

My Photo
Name:
Location: Independence, Ohio, United States

I am a retired librarian, most recently serving at Indiana Wesleyan University's Cleveland Education Center.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Apple MacIntosh Users Have the Option of "Browser Fairy"

Jason B. Jones is an evangelist for the Safari app "Browser Fairy ." This allows the user to program which browser is used to open which sites.

I have been frustrated recently that no one browser works with all websites. At my workplace I am stuck with an old machine with two gigabytes of RAM, where having to have three browsers open with active content causes the computer to crawl into virtual memory operation. At least I know about browser incompatibility: I have seen many a computer novice who does not have alternate browsers loaded, and they never see some browser-specific content.

I had to agree with Mike Richichi's comment:
This would be really good as an enterprise licensed version, with a feature that let us push out a configuration file which automatically lets us determine what browser to open an app in. With a proliferation of different administrative apps, all using different plugins, with Chrome deprecating Java, etc., it would be nice just to tell people to use Safari and it would take care of which browser to load based on what it's doing.

-DD

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home