Knowledge Handler

Information Sources & Information Sifting Techniques

My Photo
Name:
Location: Independence, Ohio, United States

I am a retired librarian, most recently serving at Indiana Wesleyan University's Cleveland Education Center.

Saturday, September 27, 2014

The Physically Active Have Healthier Brains

Burzynska et. al report that "Physical Activity and Cardiorespiratory Fitness Are Beneficial for White Matter in Low-Fit Older Adults ." Their research shows a correlation between excise throughout the day and brain health. Older adults who had a one-hour exercise session each day had more brain lesions than those who are physically active throughout the day.

Michael Potts provided a summary of this research in his announcement "Sitting Too Long Counteracts Cognitive Benefits of Exercise in Older Adults." This summary suggests to me that sitting may be an occupational hazard to the brains of knowledge workers.

In my own life I have noticed a tendancy to 3 o'clock drowsiness which responds better to a brisk walk than caffeinated beverages. Perhaps my body is trying to encourage me to exercise.... -DD

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home